In 2016, Evan McMullin was a virtual unknown, much like Trump, with a traditional establishment Republican flavor. Since then, he is mostly defined by who he opposes. Donald Trump gained our respect, once in office, compared to the average candidate, and Mike Lee is one of the best politicians around, making McMullin's choice of opponents a significant argument against him. Mentally, we group him with Mitt Romney, which is one of the most derogatory things that could be said about any politician.
Evan McMullin decided to try to run against Mike Lee to unseat him.
Evan McMullin has received significant support from "Tech leaders and Democratic Party-aligned groups".
A BYU graduate who spent 8 years working for the CIA. He is running on a decidedly anti-Trump ticket.
He promotes investment in the military, a lean simplified tax code, local control of education, and involvement in global affairs. Regarding healthcare, he promotes deregulation, but also suggests putting protections in place for those with preexisting conditions. He promotes states' rights, opposes government subsidized abortion, and expresses support for the second amendment. He promotes securing the border, and controlling immigration.
In October 2016, news broke that William Johnson, an avowed white supremacist, had put together a robocalling campaign to support Trump by attacking Evan McMullin. In the robocall, William tells callers that McMullin's mother is a lesbian married to another woman and speculates that McMullin is likely gay, in part, because he is not married and he is in his 40's. Evan McMullin has denied being gay. In the midst of the robocalling campaign, in early November, William Johnson cut off the robocalls and issued an apology "for the mean-spirited message."
- Official Campaign Website
- Evan McMullin - Twitter
- Evan McMullin - Wikipedia
- Evan McMullin - LinkedIn
- Evan McMullin - Facebook
- Evan McMullin for President - Facebook
- Lisa, Riley Roche, "McMullin reaches out to Utah millennials in presidential race", KSL, 2 Nov 2016
- Katie McKellar, "Evan McMullin: Mormon, ex-CIA operative running on 'principle,' not politics", KSL, 30 Oct 2016
- Wendy Leonard, "Rally for Evan McMullin a result of grass-roots campaign efforts", KSL, 14 Oct 2016
- Dennis Romboy, "Presidential candidate Evan McMullin to appear on Utah ballot in November", KSL, 15 Aug 2016
- Lori, "PART 1: Glenn Talks With Independent Presidential Candidate Evan McMullin", Glenn Beck, 11 Aug 2016
- Lisa Riley Roche, "BYU graduate running for president says he's 'open' to replacing Trump on GOP ticket", KSL, 10 Aug 2016
- Dennis Romboy, "BYU grad launches last-minute campaign for president", KSL, 8 Aug 2016
- "Democrats and Tech Leaders Spend Big on Independent in Utah", U.S. News & World Report, 31 Oct 2022
- About Mindy Finn - Evan McMullin 2016
- Dennis Romboy, "White supremacist questions McMullin's sexuality in calls to Utah voters", KSL, 31 Oct 2016
- Matt Canham, "As McMullin hits Trump on racism, white nationalist apologizes for verbal attack", Salt Lake Tribune, 2 Nov 2016